Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mommy Sandwich

In the darkness. Beneath the blankets. Head resting on my pillow. I sleep. Flat on my back with my arms pressed at my sides. 3 year old on my right. 3 month on my left. I am delicious mommy meat nestled between two slices of toasted baby body. Hold the mayo.

I guess one might call our arrangement *co-sleeping.* I'm not sure if there is a clear definition of co-sleeping. To me the term has meant finding ways to best meet the needs of each family member at night. Co-sleeping can be such a taboo subject in our culture yet so many families do it. I wonder about that at night as I listen to the soft breathing of my girls. Feel them move close to me and my warmth in their sleep. Keep them covered when they get cold or take off a layer when it gets too warm. Reach out and stroke a head or hold a hand when needed. Pull the little one in close to nurse, then doze back off together. In the morning I wake up to kisses and smiles.

So fo now I am comfortable in my role as mommy meat.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home